The kids and I ventured out to the swimming pool last week. It's about a half mile walk from our house. I knew there wouldn't be older kids there since it was during school hours, but we were the absolutely only people there. It was a little awkward, but the guards didn't seem to mind and tried to speak with us in broken English/Japanese. It was interesting trying to figure out the rules. You buy a ticket from a ticket machine. Then take your shoes off in the genkan (all houses have these areas- it's where you leave your shoes), put your shoes in a bag provided, and then hand your ticket to the pool worker. She gives you a locker key and you are free to go swim for 2 hours! The pool was really nice and had a fast racing slide in the kiddie area. We swam the entire time and had a blast. We invented a new game that we call crab tag. The kiddie pool is really big and shallow, so you can only use your arms to propel you in the water and tag someone else to be it. Using legs is illegal.
We had so much fun that we went swimming again today. Toward the end of our time today some little kids came, so it was fun to see other people. Their summer vacation starts at the end of the week so I'm sure we'll start seeing more kids and hopefully my kids will be outgoing enough to join in games with them.
After swimming, we ate snacks I had packed and discovered a playground that was pretty cool. It had a zip line so you know that's fun!
We went to the mall to buy some rugs the other day and ate lunch there. I had Takoyaki. It's delicious! It is fried food with octopus inside. Speaking of meals, I've been able to find ingredients to cook at home finally!! I've made some good ones and some that are just okay, but I feel great that we are finally getting some decent meals in. Last night I made karaage, which is fried chicken, rice with seasoning flakes, and edamame. The night before I made tamagoyaki (G's favorite), eggplant in a rich sauce, and rice. Hooray for food!
This is G's new rug for her room. She has enough floor space to play so was able to pick out a soft rug. Plus, B will sleep on the floor in her room when guests come to visit.
This is the new rug in our living room. It's so soft!! We got brown because when our permanent furniture finally arrives (August 5th) it is supposedly brown. Having the rug really makes the house feel more like home and allows us to spread out a little instead of trying to cram onto the tiny couches.
Everyone knows my favorite dessert is Shaved Ice (called kakigori in Japan). I haven't managed to eat one here yet, but we did pick up a packet of gummy kakigori the other day while we were out. So yummy!! We've also eaten kakigori popsicles. We've been to a restaurant that serves kakigori but I was too full to eat one after I'd eaten dinner.
Comments
Post a Comment